Wednesday, March 9, 2011

REJOICE

Philippians 4:4-7 has much to teach us about living a life of joy, even when we go through tough times in our lives and in our ministries. From these verses we learn three needs we have if we are going to live a life of joy even when our circumstances are anything but joyful.

First, we must REJOICE! Philippians 4:4 says to "Rejoice in the Lord always!" What are we to do? We are to "rejoice!" This means to live in a continual state of celebration and contentment. The word literally means "to be glad!" This is the word used to describe the celebration of the father when his prodigal son returned home in Luke 15:32.

How are we to rejoice? We are to rejoice "in the Lord!" We have already learned that joy has nothing to do with our circumstances but everything to do with our position in Christ.

When are we to rejoice in the Lord? We are to rejoice in the Lord "always!" No matter what adversity comes into my life or ministry I can still choose to celebrate and to be content in who I am in Jesus Christ!

Why should we rejoice in the Lord always? It's importance is seen in the continual reminder that Paul gives when he adds the words, "Again I will say rejoice!" Paul is saying that I will continually remind you to keep on rejoicing!

And that is my goal in this blog posting today. If you are a hurting pastor, pastor's wife or ministry leader that is going through a very hurtful time in your life and ministry, let me remind you of this Biblical mandate:

"Rejoice in the Lord always! Again I will say rejoice!"

Be sure to read my other blog at www.folkslisten.blogspot.com. You can leave a comment at either blog or email me directly at skdistler@gmail.com.

No comments: