Monday, January 24, 2011

Need #5 When Facing Your Giant - CELEBRATION Of God

Today is the final post in this series on facing your giants from the story of David and Goliath in 1 Samuel 17. We have seen 4 qualities of David that we must also possess if we are going to face the ministry and personal giants in our lives. They are:

COMMUNICATION with God!
COMMITMENT to God!
CONFIDENCE in God!
COURAGE for God!

Now we are ready to see the 5th and final need:

CELEBRATION of God!

After David strikes Goliath with the rock and he falls to the ground, David takes Goliath's own sword and cuts off his head (Why didn't they put that part in the kids song we learned in Children's Church?). We then learn in chapter 18 that David takes Goliath's weapons and puts them in his own tent. Why would David do that? I believe it was so that he always had a physical reminder that no giant could ever come into his life that God could not conquer. David would begin every day when he awakened by looking at those weapons and celebrating the goodness and victories of God.

A few years back I had the thrill of visiting the Holy Land and standing in the Valley of Elah. We walked over to the stream that would have been nearby (it was dry when we there) where David would have selected his ammunition. There I picked up 5 stones of my own. I keep them on the bookshelf in my office so that every time I see them I am reminded that God is bigger than any giant that comes into my life or ministry. This allows me to celebrate in my God.

So if there is a giant that you are facing in your ministry - a problem or person that seems insurmountable, that always seems to be there, and that is causing your heart to fear, go ahead and celebrate in advance. In the end, whatever that looks like, God will work all things together for good!

Feel free to leave a comment or email me at skdistler@gmail.com

No comments: