Friday, January 28, 2011

"WHY ME?" or "WHAT NOW?"

A few years back I heard Ed Young Jr, who pastors Fellowship Church down in Texas, speak about the pit of betrayal. As I said in my posting yesterday, no hurt goes deeper than the wounds caused by betrayal. Imagine you are Joseph. Your own brothers have assaulted you and thrown you into a dark, lonely pit. Your future is now in question. What do you say to God from inside that pit? Most people would ask a very simply two-word question:

"WHY ME?"

"Why me, Lord? Why did you allow this to happen to me? Why did you let this hurt and adversity come into my life? Why me, Lord?" And if you find yourself in a pit of betrayal that occurred within your ministry, you might be finding yourself asking God the same question, "Why me, Lord?"

But Ed Young Jr's message still resonates within my heart. He said that "Why Me?" is the wrong two-word question. Instead, when we find ourselves scarred and bruised after being pushed into the pit of ministry betrayal (or any other kind of betrayal) we should ask this two-word question:

"WHAT NOW?"

"What now, Lord? What are you working on behind the scenes that I don't even know about yet? What great plan for me are you fulfilling through these difficult times? What now, Lord?" After all, remember these passages?

"And we know that God causes all things (even the pit of betrayal) to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials (even the pit of betrayal); knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." (James 1:2-3)

If you find yourself today in the pit of betrayal, don't ask God, "WHY ME?" Instead ask Him, "WHAT NOW?"

Be sure to read my other blog entitled "Folks, Listen" at www.folkslisten.blogspot.com. You can also leave a comment on this blog or email me directly at skdistler@gmail.com

No comments: